Friday, July 23, 2010

Sweet Corn

Summer in Illinois equals sweet corn. It's like candy on a spoon. If you've never had it, you are missing out. Driving down the highway today toward Rossville I passed a homemade sign that read "Matt & Chett's Sweet Corn $3.00" in green paint. Two boys were stacking corn on an old table in their front yard. I decided I would definately need some sweet corn on my way back out of town.

After picking up my favorite boots from the cobbler's, I drove north watching intently for the sign. When I finally saw it, I pulled into their driveway and turned off my car. The older boy was instructing the younger to go to the field behind their house for more corn. So, the younger, Chett, I found out, got on his ATV with trailor behind it and drove toward the corn field. Matt, the older, filled my order for 3 dozen ears of sweet corn. I left a small tip. I think the boys probably grew and tended the corn all themselves and then were able to sell it. What a great way to teach kids a good work ethic, farming, and money managing all at the same time.

I can't wait to cook and freeze the corn so we can enjoy it later this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment