Sunday, August 1, 2010

French Style

I have had so much fun this summer with our garden. I'll admit, I have not been in it hardly as much as one should when maintaining a backyard garden. But, what I have done I have enjoyed. We got some corn [see Sweet Corn entry] from some roadside boys in Rossville. I cooked it and froze it. I know it'll be a treat this fall and winter. My favorite garden veggie is the green bean. They stand up to so much and produce quite a lot per plant. After our radishes were finished and Mom had pulled them up, I planted some more green plants in their place. They have not produced any beans yet, but it is nice to have them staggered. Hopefully when the plants producing now quit, these baby plants will be full of beans!

Yesterday Will and I made an important stop at Rural King [my favorite place...seriously]. I have been wanting a green bean frencher for a few weeks now. Finally, today I was able to take it out of the package, put the crank on, and french some beans. It took some manuvering. It is hard to crank unless it is clamped to something. I tried the table first, but it wasn't tight enough. So, after Jacob's suggestion, I clamped it to a tray. It worked perfectly. Now I have some freshly frenched and lovely, I might add, green beans. Perhaps we'll enjoy them this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment