Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Farm Fresh

This evening I went to a friend's farm just outside town. I went for farm fresh eggs. She has twin daughters who are raising chickens. They have a large chicken pen with hens and roosters as well as pet ducks that come when called. It is lovely to hear the farm sounds; quacking ducks, cooing hens, crowing roosters.

Lorraine was making peach jam from Michigan peaches. She had at least a case. The girls showed me 'their' peaches, each absolutely enormous! They are going to the Illinois State Fair with their family tomorrow. Their cousins are coming in from California for a visit. Lorraine also told me that her daughter is coming in from Indiana this weekend, bringing her Belgian waffle maker. The twins' birthday is Saturday. Their birthday breakfast includes homemade pancakes topped with apples, Belgian waffles, and bacon.

I always love being around the Coffey's. Lorraine has so much knowledge and experience in so many areas. She and her girls are always pleasant, attentive, and welcoming. I went for eggs and came home with farm fresh eggs, peaches, and a small gourd. I love the farm life.

No comments:

Post a Comment