Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Chicken Business

Good morning, or should I say afternoon. It is a beautiful late summer day outside. Dottie (our escape chicken) and her cohort, Dottie, have not ventured out into the yard yet this morning. I found out yesterday that they have figured out how to get back into the chicken pen once they are out- a new feat.

We have 5 "Dotties"- they are all Barred Plymouth Rocks and I cannot tell them apart. There are also 5 Rhode Island Reds, which I loving refer to as "Red"...all 5 of them. Sly, our rooster, is a BPR as well. He has begun crowing all the time now- either warning sneaky hawks to stay away, or competing for loudest rooster with our neighbor. Shirley is the only BlackSex-Link we have. She was actually the runt, but turned out the perfect size and can definately hold her own, even with Sly. Dolly and Molly are our mystery hens. We are still not sure what breed they are, but they're a beautiful orange color. Henrietta and Hazel are 2 of our Buff Orpingtons- there are 3 more, but without names. And, we have 5 Light Brahmas with feathered feet. I haven't named them either.

Will enjoys feeding our "babies" fresh produce from the garden. Yesterday they got a pumpkin that had cooked too long in the sun. They finished it for breakfast.

What a joy it is to see such a flock of different colors and personalities strutting around the pen, making their 'henny' noises....or crowing, as the case may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment